What is an anthropometric tape measure?
An anthropometric tape measure is a tape measure intended for body measurement. It typically has some or all of the following characteristics:
- Blank space before the zero (6-8cm ideally)
- Thin, flexible steel blade (about 6mm ideally)
- About 2m in length
Some less expensive models will have a fiberglasss blade rather than steel. Oftentimes people will use a tape measure that is intended for measuring the circumference or diameter of pipes or trees, which typically have the same specifications.
Where to buy an anthropometric tape measure
Compare Anthropometric Tape Measures
Lufkin W606PM Anthropometric / Diameter Tape Measure
This is one of the most well-known models and is recommended by ISAK for anthropometry.
- 2m long
- measures in mm
- top of blade measures distance, bottom measures diameter
- 6mm wide steel blade
- Chrome shell
- Space before zero: 7.5 cm
AnthroFlex NA305 Anthropometric Tape Measure
This anthropometric tape measure has the same specifications as the Lufkin W606PM but with a different case and lower price.
- The blade is flexible steel
- Solid, durable ABS plastic case with attractive design
- Blank space before zero
- Measures in cm/mm, up to 2 meters long
- Spring tension action returns easily
- High quality European design and production
- Ideal for measurements of body, pipes, trees, and more.
- Weight: 1 ounces (28 grams)
Gulick Anthropometric Tape Measure
The Gulick has a unique feature which is a spring weighted end that applies force to the tape measure and assures of accurate results. The blade is made of fiberglass which can stretch over time, therefore NutriActiva does not sell or recommend this item.